Monday, March 8, 2010

Cuenca

Wow. Late Again. My group went to Cuenca for the weekend so I figured I’d wait.

Before going to Cuenca my host family excitedly told me that Cuenca was a magical city where people sing when they talk and love to dance at all times of the day. While Cuenca didn’t turn out to be a real life musical, I can easily see how anyone who has been to Cuenca remembers it like living in Singing In the Rain for a few days. Cuenca is completely filled with perfectly preserved colonial buildings in one of the biggest historical centers in the world. And while Cuenca is a very modern city it has a feel more similar to a beach town than a large city—everyone and everything seemed very at ease.

The group and I were lucky enough to fly to Cuenca, a thirty minute flight instead of a ten hour bus ride, on Saturday morning. For the rest of Saturday we walked around and just enjoyed the beautiful historic section of Cuenca. It’s really impossible to describe how beautiful building after building was so I’ll just put up a bunch of photos.




An interesting Cuenca hat fact- The Panama Hat is not from Panama, it's from Cuenca. The world famous hat was exported through Panama and used heavily by the workers who constructed the canal, thereby giving it the association with Panama and the decieving name.




Cuenca also had the largest and most awe inspiring church I've ever seen. It was about a block long, half a block wide, and the inside was completely made out of marble.



Sunday we headed to some Incan ruins, which were quite fun.

Cuenca looked and felt like no where I had ever been in before and I am counting the days till I return to this beautiful city.



No comments:

Post a Comment