Saturday, February 27, 2010

Altitude Schmaltitude

Hey everyone sorry for being late again. I knew that this weekend my group was going to the Teleferico in Ecuador so I figured I’d wait and hopefully have some cool pictures---
A lot of what I read about Quito before arriving constantly mentioned the altitude. At 2850 m or roughly 8550 feet above sea level, Quito is quite the jump, a high one, from Chicago’s altitude at about 586 feet above sea level.

(The sign said don´t run. I had trouble walking that high up.)

Many of the books and articles mention the negatives of this change in elevation, specifically the prospect of altitude sickness, usually a mild headache. What the books fail to mention is that Ecuador’s constantly changing altitude results in some of the most spectacular views in South America.
(Looking east towards Quito and Cumbaya)

Today going to the Teleferico, a ski resort like contraption that shuttles people up to the top of Pichincha Mountain, I probably changed 6000 ft in elevation in about two hours, which, I think, is pretty amazing. From the top of Pichinca Mountain I was able to see not only Quito and Cumbaya, but also see for hundreds and hundreds and miles into the distance. As much as I love these breathtaking views, they also make me feel incredibly insignificant. Being able to see for hundreds of miles, with cites in front, even taller mountains in back, and literally being surrounded by clouds, is an unbelievably fantastic experience that really reminds me of my tiny place in this huge world.

(The Teleferico)

(Standing at the same level of the clouds is great)

So while I have a killer headache after returning from the Teleferico, I’ll take some altitude sickness and standing on top of a mountain over a pain free head and the plains of the Midwest any day.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Max,
    A big hello from Chicago and your parent's sheepshead group!
    Your father cleaned up last nite and couldn't keep from smiling as he counted his nickels. Arghhhhhhhh!
    Wonderful to see your images and thoughts about life in Ecuador. Keep them coming and keep experiencing.
    Thanks for posting too. All the best in your adventures.

    ReplyDelete